Monday 1 June 2015

I might have met my match...

Nine months in and I am now ready to take on the world! I have now got to the stage where I have caught so many fish in one day that I have lost count. Yes, there must have been at least a couple of pound of them! I have always said that I did not much like the idea of match fishing and that I am a pleasure angler. This is true, but I can't really say I don't like something if I have never tried it.

My favourite Fishery runs an open match, once a month, aimed at the less experienced angler. The fact that they do not allow the more established match anglers to compete gives us novices a better chance of winning. Personally, I will be delighted if I don't come last, but even if I do, I will have had a go and a day's fishing.

After talking to Mat at Mat's Angling in Lee High Road,  I have a plan (and some bait!) I am not going to reveal my total plan this side of the match, which is next Wednesday. I have done my homework as well and been boning-up on the technique I intend to use. I have a plan, unusual for me I know, but I think that is a big part of this match lark. The other alien concept to me is being organised, but organised I am determined to be.


It seems to me that I will need to keep fishing constantly, no messing around, just full on fishing. First thing to do is decide on a plan. So, I will be fishing a left and a right hand swim on the waggler and back that up with a feeder line straight up the middle. I plan to fish close in, throwing distance rather than having to use a catapult. As for bait, soft expanders on the hook and hard pellet banded on a hair. For the feeder it will be maggot and groundbait fished at a grater distance. That may all change on the day but we will see. whatever happens, the day will be an experience. The pictures may hole a clue as to my method mix, but I will reveal all after the Match... Now, where's my meat punch?

Wish me luck!

Ralph.